- Under direction, performs skilled professional library work
of a specialized nature in the area of youth program services. Work may be performed evenings, weekends,
and/or irregular hours. The current
vacancy is a regular full time vacancy at the E.P. Foster Library in Ventura.
- Plans, organizes and conducts youth programs designed to interest and familiarize youth in use of library materials;
- Provides customer service in reference and resources, readers advisory, computer lab and online resources;
- Plans, publicizes, and implements story times and other library programs;
- Collaborates with schools and other community groups; conducts school class visits;
- Trains and may supervise library staff and volunteers in use of reference searches, Internet, and aspects of reference service;
- Interprets and communicates library policies and programs to staff, patrons and community groups;
- Performs best practices in collection development;
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Comprehensive experience in library operations which has led to the acquisition of the required knowledge, skills and abilities. The required knowledge, skills and abilities also can be obtained by the equivalent to a completion of a Master's degree in library science and two (2) years professional library work experience in an area of youth related library programs or services.
- Thorough knowledge of: Library methods, techniques and procedures used in cataloging, reference services, children and youth services, and collection development;
- Trends in library practices; wide variety of literature, reference and resource material;
- Bibliographic works used in public libraries; and library and office automation.
- Develop and maintain relevant collections and programs;
- Evaluate community needs and develop best methods for providing library services in area of specialization;
- Exercise effective interpersonal skills dealing with the public and staff;
- Instruct and train library staff and others;
- Evaluate materials and information used in library programs.
- Delivery excellent customer service;
- Researching and utilizing various types of publications, resources, etc.;
- Effectively and respectfully communicating with the public including children of any age.
- Master's degree in Library Science;
- Three (3) years or more of experience in library youth services;
- Three (3) years or more of experience in collection for youth;
- Demonstrated experience in public outreach and advocating library services in the community;
- Experience with forming and fostering relationships with community leaders.
- To apply on-line, please refer to our web site at
www.ventura.org/hr. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please
call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to County of
Ventura Human Resources, 800 South Victoria Ave., L-1970, Ventura CA 93009.
- Applicants must provide sufficient information under the Education/Work Experience portion of the application and supplemental questionnaire in order to determine eligibility. A resume may be attached to supplement your responses in the above-referenced sections; however, it may not be submitted in lieu of the application.
- A job-related Oral Examination will
be conducted to evaluate and compare participating candidates' knowledge,
skills, and abilities in relation to those factors which job analysis has
determined to be essential for successful performance of the job. Candidates
must earn a score of seventy percent (70%) or higher to qualify for placement
on the eligible list.
- If there are three (3) or fewer qualified applicants, an
oral examination will not be conducted. Instead, a score of seventy percent
(70%) will be assigned to each application, and each applicant will be placed
on the eligible list.
- Candidates successfully completing the examination process may be placed on an eligible list for a period of one (1) year.